As a strong proponent of the 'local food' movement I'm a member of a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) for an organic farm about 1hr north east of our home. Basically what this means is that the dollars I pay for the fruits and vegetables that I receive weekly during the growing season goes directly to the farmer that is doing the hard work of growing the food! The obvious benefit is that we receive farm-fresh seasonal food that is better than any of the products of the industrial food chain found through traditional supermarkets.
An additional perk of the membership is the invitations one receives to come and pick some foods directly from the farm yourself. Having spent the first 7 years of my life in southern Germany where Asparagus is a way of life at the beginning of spring, I'm a HUGE asparagus fan. So when the call came to pick fresh asparagus I was tickled pink!
While Chris was off enjoying his boys weekend in Moab I packed the kids into the car early Saturday morning on May 1 and headed to the farm. As one of only two families that showed up at 8am on a crisp morning we got to pick three rows for ourselves!
Once we had our goods home I got busy washing, and more importantly, cooking and eating the fruits of our morning's labor.
I can honestly say the taste of fresh asparagus the day it was picked is absolutely delightful! I can't wait until next Spring!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment